Unofficial text; taken from English simultaneous translation as read to the Assembly of the OAS, 6/3/09, prior to unanimous vote of acclamation.
The General Assembly, recognizing the shared interest in the full participation of all the member states, guided by the purposes and principles of the OAS, embodied in the Charter of the organization and its other fundamental instruments related to security, democracy, self-determination, non-intervention, human rights and development;
Considering the open mindedness that characterized the dialogue of the heads of state and government at the 5th Summit of the Americas in Port of Spain; and that in the same spirit the member states wish to establish a revitalized and ample framework of cooperation in Hemispheric relations;
And bearing in mind that, pursuant to article 54 of the OAS charter, the General Assembly is the supreme organ of the organization, resolves
1) that resolution 6 adopted on January 31st 1962, at the 8th meeting of Ministers of Foreign Affairs which excluded the government of Cuba from its participation in the inter-american system hereby ceases to have effect in the Organization of American States. (55 seconds of applause)
2) that the participation of the Republic of Cuba in the OAS will be the result of a process of dialogue initiated at the request of the government of Cuba and in accordance with the practices and purposes and principles of the OAS
Original US Draft
Resolution of the General Assembly
CUBA AND THE INTER-AMERICAN SYSTEM
(Presented by the United States)
The shared interest in the full participation of all Member States;
That some of the circumstances since Cuba's suspension from full participation in the Organization of American States may have changed;
The spirit of openness that encouraged dialogue among the heads of state and government at the V Summit of the Americas in Port of Spain, and that, consistent with that spirit, the Member States desire to establish a period of renewed hemispheric relations;
That frank and open dialogue is one of the hallmarks of multilateral relations between sovereign states and between sovereign states and multilateral organizations;
Recalling the OAS Charter, the Inter-American Democratic Charter, the American Declaration of the Rights and Duties of Man, and the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, which are instruments universally applicable to all Member states, as well as the American Convention on Human Rights and the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance; and
Taking into account, in accordance with article 54 of the Charter of the Organization of American States (OAS), that the General Assembly is the supreme organ of the OAS;
1. To support the interest of the Member States in facilitating the eventual reintegration of Cuba into the Inter-American system in a manner that is consistent with the commitments, principles and values of the OAS Charter, the Inter-American Democratic Charter, and other instruments.
2. To instruct the Permanent Council to initiate a dialogue with the present Government of Cuba regarding its eventual reintegration into the inter-American system, consistent with the principles of sovereignty, independence, non-intervention, democracy and full respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, as enshrined in the OAS Charter, the Inter-American Democratic Charter, and other OAS instruments.
3. To instruct the Permanent Council to present the results of the dialogue prior to the next General Assembly.
4. To review the report of the Permanent Council at the next General Assembly and determine what, if any, steps could be taken towards the eventual reintegration of Cuba into the inter-American system, in a manner consistent with the spirit of consensus that governs the institution.
5. To reaffirm our will to act in accordance with our commitments to the fundamental principles of the inter-American system.